Twitter is one of the fastest way to get news and latest updates. It was launched 3-4 years ago and has gained a big traction since then. However, the service can be improved to give a better end-user experience:
Current Issues :
Although Twitter is widely used, it has some major inherent issues:
1. Managing tweets become very difficult. Even if a user follows 20-30 users, it becomes almost difficult to keep track of the information. This is partly because of over-information.
2. As a user, if I tweet something, my tweet goes to everyone who is following me. Usually I tweet about technology, Indian politics, World Economy, and Normal fun things. There is no way for my followers to get just World Economy tweets from me and not get Normal Fun stuff. Yes, they can search about some topic, but there is no inherent stream of topics (from me and others) that they would like to get and keep track of.
3. Duplication is a major problem on Twitter. Same story gets tweeted again and again by members and it appears in Search and in followed stream again and again. This is one more reason why there is so much of noise on Twitter.
4. Twitter is heavily targeted for tech people. @ and # are some of the things that make my head spin (I am a techie)..forget the normal person. System needs to be simple to use and easy to understand.
5. 140 character limit was good when a lot of conversation was happening on SMS. That is not the limitation today. Media (pictures, audio, video) should be included in a service like twitter.
6. Spam: Twitter is full of spam. A lot of fake ids are lurking around with biased or wrong information. If I want to get genuine information about Steve jobs ideas on Technology, there are many accounts and it becomes difficult to judge who is genuine and who is fake. New service must have tight control over spam and fake ids.
7. On Twitter, users are not “authentic”. There are a lot of clones that lead to spam. Also, its easier (or more intuitive) to have conversation with either “celebrities” or with close friends who we know in person. Current structure of Twitter fails in having conversation with “close friends”.
Solution (For some Issues) :
1. Provide relevant content in the stream. Remove spam.
*Spam means any content that is not relevant to the user at that point of time.
2. Enable users to have conversation related to the “meaningful” content. Note: Facebook does a good job of conversation but that is around “emotional” content rather than “intellectual or meaningful” content.
3. Enable users to find other users that have similar “background” or “interests”. Facebook does it but only for friends from school/work. Twitter does this for “interests” but lacks teeth.